Tuesday 31 July 2007

Giggling in the bath

Auntie Essie was my mother's spinster sister. No, that's not quite right, she had been married very young, but the marriage was 'never consumated' (family gossip). She was like a much beloved maiden aunt, and I adored her. My parents sent me to her for school holidays and we used to have such fun. I went with her to work (Secretary at Anglo Vaal Company), went out with her and her best friend Madge Smith, bowling or to the cinema, and chugged around in her little black Austin. But, best of all was sharing the bath with her. She was huge, about 300 pounds, and everything wobbled when she moved. I had to squeeze into the bath with her, but how we giggled. I always remember the giggling. All the neighbours in her block of flats used to know when I was visiting, as they heard us giggling. She had a divan bed that we shared and we always fell asleep holdng hands. I wished that she was my mother! She died when I as 16 and left me feeling utterly bereft. Now, 44 years later, I love her still and think of those giggly nights in the bath.