Tuesday 31 July 2007

Saturday Treat

Every Saturday our parents used to go to the local bioscope (cinema) and leave us with our nanny, Miriam. One time, they had an emergency phone call as soon as they got there, saying that I was screaming and scared and wouldn't go to bed. So Dad went to fetch us and took us back with them to see the film. In those days there was no censorship on movies. This then became a weekly habit. But, in order to go out on a Saturday night, we had to sleep all afternoon. We were put in our respective bedrooms and as she shut the doors, Ma uttered her weekly warning: 'If you don't sleep, you won't come with us'. Then she collapsed on her bed and slept for hours while Dad went to his bowls' game. I had absolutely no intention of resting. As soon as I heard her snoring, I crept out and went into Ian's room where we played for hours: pillow fights, jumping on the bed, just generally messing around or 'hullering' which is the Yiddish term for being bloody naughty. I intuitively knew when she was due to wake up, and would steal back to my room quietly, creep under the covers and pretend to be fast asleep when she 'woke' us up. Then off we'd go to the bioscope feeling very grown up. The only thing that spoilt my fun was that Ma held Dad's hand, never mine. Never had, never would!